Welcome!

my daily life on a cattle farm, my love of agriculture, and stories behind my photos

Monday, March 10, 2014

Calving 2014

We started calving! I am absolutely giddy!
Tears of joy are in my eyes. I LOVE calving season!


Feeding hay to expecting cows Sunday afternoon, I noticed one cow [ W4 ] acting calfy. She had a sunny, cozy spot in the barn and did not want to eat hay. Three hours later...a beautiful, healthy calf was born.

After feeding cows where I live, my dad and I fed cows at another farm. When I returned home after chores, I checked W4 in the barn. She was a little restless. A few minutes later, I could see her in the barn sniffing the ground. Her water must have broken. A calf was on its way! After thirty minutes, I walked to the barn and checked the cow again. I saw hooves! I was so excited! About forty-five minutes later, W4 had her heifer calf.

And at 10:30, another cow had a calf!

 
it's a heifer!
 

The birth of a calf is amazing to me. I adore newborn calves. Praying for a safe and successful calving season!

No comments:

Post a Comment