Welcome!

my daily life on a cattle farm, my love of agriculture, and stories behind my photos

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Tagging Calves

preparing to tag calves
After updating calving records, dad and I tagged calves last Sunday afternoon. It was a beautiful day! My kind of Sunday Funday :)
 
A list of calves born on the farms is used to prepare numbered ear tags for heifers and bulls. Heifers receive a yellow numbered tag, and bulls receive an orange numbered tag. Calves born on one farm are tagged in their left ear, and calves born on another farm are tagged in their right ear. On each tag, I write the cow and bull of the calf being tagged. 

We tag calves with a numbered ear tag for calf identification. Through tagging and maintaining cattle records, we are able to track a calf throughout its life.

No comments:

Post a Comment