Welcome!

my daily life on a cattle farm, my love of agriculture, and stories behind my photos

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

fall forage for grazing: week 1

We had two fields of turnips, rye, and oats aerial seeded in standing corn on September 7. It rained in the evening. So, it was perfect for seed germination.
 
turnips, rye, and oats

These fields will be future cow chow! Eek! Our cows will be grazing these fields during the fall and winter.
 
 
 
 
After cattle chores this morning, I decided to check fields since it has been one week since they were seeded. I was absolutely amazed by what I found when walking into a field! I was so excited to have my dad look.
 
 
 
 
It was very impressive to see the growth of the turnips, rye, and oats seeding in one week! It was incredible! The turnips measured 2-3" in height. And, the rye and oats measured 3-5". So surprising.
 
 
 
 
I very much look forward to checking the fields next week! It will be interesting to see the growth of the turnips, rye, and oats.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment