Welcome!

my daily life on a cattle farm, my love of agriculture, and stories behind my photos

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

fall forage for grazing: week 6

It is week #6 in the field!


It has been six weeks since the fields were aerial seeded with turnips, rye, and oats. I have very much enjoyed watching the seeding grow by each week. It has been so amazing! Every time I drive by the seeded fields, I smile. The fall forage is beautiful!

10.19.16

We finished harvesting corn early Monday evening! When we finished harvesting corn on the acres seeded with turnips, rye, and oats, it let us fully see the seeding. Amazing!

10.14.16
It is unbelievable how quickly the seeding grew after the corn was harvested. We had sunny, warm weather that was perfect for the turnips, rye, and oats to rapidly grow. From a distance, you can now see the corn fields turning green.    


It will not be long before the corn residue will be covered by the fall forage. Our cow herds will soon be grazing the luscious fields of turnips, rye, and oats!

corn residue rests along the turnips, rye, and oats
 

No comments:

Post a Comment