Welcome!

my daily life on a cattle farm, my love of agriculture, and stories behind my photos

Friday, May 2, 2014

Tattooing Heifers

a replacement heifer receives a tattoo
 
This afternoon, we tattooed 12 replacement heifers. Each yearling heifer received a unique tattoo using letters and numbers. A tattoo consists of four digits. The first digit of the tattoo is the birth year of the heifers... 2013 = 3. The second digit of the tattoo will be a letter...G or MJ. Heifers owned by my parents will have a G. Heifers owned by myself will have a MJ. The remaining digits are in numeric order. The tattoo of one of heifers [Red #9] is 3MJ2.
 
We use these tattoos for identification. Their tattoo will match registration paperwork for pedigrees with the American Shorthorn Association.

No comments:

Post a Comment