Welcome!

my daily life on a cattle farm, my love of agriculture, and stories behind my photos

Sunday, September 15, 2019

kitchen shelving

. a farm find .

Years ago, I found shelves in a barn on our farm. When I spotted it, I fell in love. It needed to be in my rustic farm home. Fantastic pick off the farm!
 

 
The rustic wood shelving is a focal point in my kitchen. Over the years, it has been so much fun to style. The old shelving has so much charm. And, I add my rustic farm chic style to it. A 2.5' x 5'  antique slate chalkboard leans against the wall beside the shelving. The two look great together. In love!



[  Recently, I decided to make a small change in décor to the shelving. To our old cattle farm sign, I added antique ceiling tins and photos. Both needed the perfect spot in my home. On the shelving was it! It created a neat layered look. And, I am really into layering with my décor. This also added more height to the shelving against the wall. I am in love with how it looks!  ]



The barn board shelving is styled with some of my favorite things...
wooden family farm sign [ Jolen Shorthorns ]
tin ceiling tiles
a 1912 b&w shorthorn bull photo
purple glass lightning rod from a local antique store
antique brass numbered tag from our farm
antique turquoise Ball jars
turquoise insulator
dark brown pottery bowl [ my parents gave to me for a birthday ]


antique brass cow tag from our farm


On the second shelf are more favorites from the farm...



1965 WIU judging team




framed b&w print of my dad as a young boy on a Farmall H
antique Farmall oil can 
framed b&w print of my dad with the 1965 WIU judging team going to the International Livestock Exposition in Chicago
horse shoes
 

And, I could not resist this photo of my dad as a toddler with his favorite dog. So cute!


antique berry baskets [ found in Texas ]
antique Ball jars
vintage plates [ purchased at auction ]

On the second shelf, I placed the antique berry basket I fell in love with at an antique shop in Texas. To it, I added the dishes and turquoise jars. The dishes are so simple and sweet! They have a scalloped edge that is so cute. I love them! I made two stacks with the dishes to fill the shelf and to also display the antique jars. I sat a jar beside and on top of the dishes. This really added color to the shelf.  



 
Illinois Shorthorn sale catalogues
American Shorthorn Association membership certificates
Western Illinois University bull test certificate
The Shorthorn World

On the bottom shelf, I have some history from our 1943 Shorthorn cattle farm. My grandpa had kept catalogues from Illinois Shorthorn sales when he would sell heifers. I especially love seeing prices he had written in with pencil. In one catalogue there is a two-page photo with his cow herd grazing in the pasture. So special! In an issue of The Shorthorn World, he had placed a farm advertisement.



As a photographer, I adore photographs. They are always incorporated in my décor. Old family farm photos, or moments on the farm...they are in my rustic farm home.

This old shelving brings so much warmth to my farm kitchen. I love having it hold so many wonderful pieces. It makes my heart smile every time I see it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment