Welcome!

my daily life on a cattle farm, my love of agriculture, and stories behind my photos

Sunday, November 1, 2020

baling cornstalks: 2020

On Friday, my dad mowed cornstalks to prepare for baling them. After a few years of baling cornstalks for our cows, we decided to mow them before baling them this year. Mowing the cornstalks would shred the corn residue. This would also make the cornstalks more useful for bedding and feeding.  


Saturday morning, I raked the cornstalks in the field dad had mowed. Shortly after I finished raking, they were custom baled for us.


Mowing the cornstalks before raking, created more volume to bale. 


Those cornstalks! A nice windrow was made after raking.


80 bales of cornstalks were rolled up on Saturday afternoon. The cornstalks will used as bedding for cows this winter and and for cows and calves this spring during the calving season. 


The cornstalks are also fed in a ration with hay, and corn silage to our cows over the winter. The cows love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment